Attack on Titan (Japanese: 進撃の巨人; Hepburn: Shingeki no Kyojin, lit. "Advancing Giant") is a Japanese anime series based on the manga of the same name by Hajime Isayama. The first season aired in Japan between April and September 2013, the second season from April to June 2015, and a third set to air in July 2018. The English dub aired from May to November 2014, with its sequel airing from April to July 2017.
Attack on Titan revolves around the adventures of Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, and their childhood friend Armin Arlert. After the wall which protects their hometown of Shinganshina is breached by the Colossal Titan leading the other Titans to enter, Eren watches in horror as a smiling Titan eats his mother. Vowing to kill all the Titans, Eren enlists in the military, along with his friends.
Why it rocks
- The animation and art is amazing, even better than the manga's art.
- Powerful and emotional music, courtesy of Hiroyuki Sawano, who also did the music for Blue Exorcist. One might argue that Attack on Titan has the best music out of any TV series.
- The Japanese voice acting is a dramatic phenomenon, with the best performance being Yuki Kaji as Eren.
- The story and overall premise is very interesting. So interesting that Game of Thrones copied from it by enclosing a city in a wall and the White Walkers later breaking the wall, just like the Titans did.
- Eren Jaeger is one of the best-written protagonists in fiction.
- Its immense popularity led to a prequel subtitled No Regrets, a spin-off subtitled Junior High, merchandise, a two-film live-action movie series, and a slew of video games, two of which were released internationally.
- Amazing character designs, for both humans and Titans.
- Took liberties with its dark tone for including a lot of gore and shocking moments, more than Tokyo Ghoul, but not as much as Deadman Wonderland.
- One of the best war dramas in film and television history, as the story involves teenagers and young adults forced to enlist in the military at such young ages and risking their lives to protect their home society.
- Masterfully-performed intro and outro songs. All 3 intros are performed by Japanese band Linked Horizon, with the first, Feuerotter Pfeil und Bogen (lit. "Crimson Bow and Arrow"), being used in many videos having nothing to do with Attack on Titan.
- This is one of the few modern anime that are actually completely loyal to the manga.
- It had a crossover with The Avengers.
- The English dub, contrary to popular opinion, is just as good as, if not better than the Japanese version. Bryce Papenbrook sounded more youthful as Eren than Yuki Kaji did. Trina Nishimura and Matthew Mercer showed more emotion than Yui Ishikawa and Hiroshi Kamiya did as Mikasa Ackerman and Levi respectively.
- The pacing of the anime, especially in the first half of Season 1, needed some work. Most episodes were just unnecessary dialogue. Luckily, the two anime films, which recap the first season, fix that by removing a lot of said dialogue.
- The gory nature of the series can turn people away from the franchise. As expected, this show is a prime target of Moral Guardians. Most infamously, it was one of the franchises banned in China.
- Its Junior High spin-off was disappointing to fans of the series, but was meant as a stop-gap for the first two seasons.
- The English dub was negatively received and was declared one of the worst dubs ever made, mainly because of its voice acting took a different approach than the Japanese version and most people watched the Japanese version first.