Attack on Titan (Japanese: 進撃の巨人; Hepburn: Shingeki no Kyojin, lit. "Advancing Giant") is a Japanese anime series based on the manga of the same name by Hajime Isayama. The first season aired in Japan between April and September 2013, the second season from April to June 2015, and a third set to air in April 2018. The English dub aired from May to November 2014, with its sequel airing from April to July 2017.
Attack on Titan revolves around the adventures of Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, and their childhood friend Armin Arlert. After the wall which protects their hometown of Shinganshina is breached by the Colossal Titan leading the other Titans to enter, Eren watches in horror as a smiling Titan eats his mother. Vowing to kill all the Titans, Eren enlists in the military, along with his friends.
Why it rocks
- The animation and art is amazing.
- The music is top-notch. It was made by Hiroyuki Sawano, who also did the music for Blue Exorcist.
- The Japanese voice acting is a dramatic phenomenon, with the best performance being Yuki Kaji as Eren.
- The story and overall premise is very interesting. So interesting that Game of Thrones copied from it by enclosing a city in a wall and the White Walkers later breaking the wall, just like the Titans did.
- Eren Jaeger is one of the best-written protagonists in fiction.
- Its immense popularity led to a prequel subtitled No Regrets, a spin-off subtitled Junior High, merchandise, a two-film live-action movie series, and a slew of video games, two of which were released internationally.
- Amazing character designs, for both humans and Titans.
- Took liberties with its dark tone for including a lot of gore and shocking moments, more than Tokyo Ghoul but not as much as Deadman Wonderland.
- One of the best war dramas in film and television history, as the story involves teenagers and young adults forced to enlist in the military at such young ages and risking their lives to protect their home society.
- Masterfully-performed intro and outro songs. All 3 intros are performed by Japanese band Linked Horizon, with the first, Feuerotter Pfeil und Bogen (lit. "Crimson Bow and Arrow"), being used in many videos having nothing to do with Attack on Titan.
- This is one of the few modern anime that are actually completely loyal to the manga.
- It had a crossover with The Avengers.
- Very, VERY positive reception, being hailed as an anime industry challenger and as the Japanese Walking Dead.
- The gory nature of the series can turn people away from the franchise. As expected, this show is a prime target of Moral Guardians. Most infamously, it was one of the franchises banned in China.
- Its Junior High spin-off was disappointing to fans of the series, but was meant as a stop-gap for the first two seasons.
- The English dub was negatively received and was one of Funimation's weakest. Though there are good performances in the dub: Bryce Papenbrook as Eren Jaeger, Matthew Mercer as Levi Ackerman, and Clifford Chapin as Conny Springer.
- The live-action movies cannot hold a candle to the anime that has become an international phenomenon.
- SPOILER ALERT: Read at your own risk. Marco Bott, one of the best characters in the show, was killed off earlier than intended due to his initial unpopularity with his fans. This led to mean-spirited jokes about him being severed in half.
- The fanbase is UNBEARABLE. They always make mean-spirited jokes whenever a character dies (not just Marco), and is mainly comprised of elitists who think it's the best anime of all time, not to mention subtards who don't realize the English dub is not that bad. Don't get me wrong: there are healthy, respectable, and reasonable fans of the show.