Barney & Friends is an American children's television series created by Sheryl Leach and produced by HIT Entertainment. The series ran on PBS from April 6, 1992 to September 18, 2009.
The series features the title character Barney, a purple anthropomorphic tyrannosaurus rex who conveys educational messages through songs and small dance routines with a friendly, optimistic attitude.
Why It Rocks
- The show promotes strong positive messages about friendship, teamwork, cultural appreciation and problem solving. It also emphasizes active play.
- Barney is a very appealing role model for kids with his friendly and optimistic personality.
- Catchy songs that help encourages kids to stay active.
- Baby Bop, BJ and Riff are really cute.
- Good acting from the child actors.
- The theme song is pretty catchy.
- The show sometimes tackles serious topics such as disability. One of the kid characters is deaf and wears a hearing aid, and another has down syndrome.
- Barney's constant laughing and singing can become repetitive.