Batman: the Animated Series is a cartoon series based off the Batman comic books. It first aired on Fox Kids from 1992 to 1995. The series focuses on Batman and sometimes his sidekicks as they protect Gotham from mob bosses like Rupert Thorn to the various super criminals like the Joker, Batman's archenemy.
Why It Rocks
- Epic opening sequence!
- 85 episodes!
- Very well written!
- Gave us one of the many great Joker actors, Mark Hamill, who at the time, was already famous for his role as Luke Skywalker.
- Mark Hamil's role as the Joker led him to become of the better known villain voice actors. He went on to play as Joker in Batman Arkham series.
- Many stories were dark and mature, showing that the people behind the show knew that kids could handle it.
- Many great villains, some of whom can be sympathized with such as the new origin for Mr. Freeze, who only wanted revenge for himself and his wife.
- Well done action sequences.
- Very good animation!
- Started the DC Animated Universe series which eventually ended with Justice League Unlimited.
- Had its own original characters, like Babydoll and Red Claw.
- Introduced us to Harley Quinn, the Joker's girlfriend.
- Only 85 episodes! (Sorry couldn't resist)
- The series have some bad episodes (most notably, I've Got Batman in My Basement)
Because of its more mature setting (still a kid's show) and well written stories, Batman: the Animated Series is regarded as one of the greatest animated shows ever made.