Card Captor Sakura (カードキャプターさくら Kādokyaputā sakura) is a 1998/1999 anime series by Madhouse that was adapted from the manga of the same name by the famed Manga artist group CLAMP. It was first broadcast on NHK on April 7th 1998 and ended on March 21st 2000 with a total of 70 episodes produced. The anime was very well received, and it had spawned two movies and several video games, and also saw huge international debuts in several countries, including the US, the UK and Australia, in where it first saw the light of day under a plagarized dub by Nelvana called Cardcaptors with several edits and name changes, before NIS America released the anime on DVD under its original name. The anime was very successful, and it has been one of the most beloved animes of all time, with some people even dubbing it as the "Sailor Moon Killer".
The anime focuses on the 10-year old Sakura Kinomoto, who becomes the titlular Card Captor after she accidentally released a set of magical Clow Cards from the Book of Clow created by Clow Reed. With the help of her new guardian Kero, and her love interest, Syaoran Li, she must find the missing Clow Cards by battling their magical personifications and seal them away.
Why it Rocks
- Great story and characters, especially Sakura herself, her guardian Kero and her best friend Tomoyo.
- Superb animation and character designs.
- Strong romance and chemistry between Sakura and Syaoran.
- Highly-memoralbe opening and ending songs and background music.
- Takes several liberties from the original manga.