Dexter's Laboratory is a sci-fi comedy cartoon created by Genndy Tartakovsky. Originally aired as part of the What a Cartoon! anthology series, Dexter's Laboratory was given its own show in 1996 and became the very first Cartoon Cartoon, the name given to most of Cartoon Network's original programming that was well known during the late 90s, to mid 2000s.
It aired from 1996 to 1999. A revival series or third season, aired from 2001 to 2002 with a fourth season airing from 2002 to 2003.
The story revolves around Dexter, a young boy gifted with an exceptional genius intellect who has a large laboratory that he hide in his parents house. However to his misfortune, his klutzy and hyperactive older sister Dee Dee is aware of his lab's existance and often barges in and trashes the place. His life is also more complicated by his rival, Mandark, who is just as intelligent as him though luckily has a weakness in the form of having a crush on Dee Dee.
Why It Rocks
- The first of the Cartoon Cartoons.
- Launched Genndy Tartakovsky's career.
- Led to the careers of other animators, such as Seth MacFarlane (creator of Family Guy), Craig McCracken (creator of The Powerpuff Girls), Butch Hartman, (creator of Danny Phantom), and Rob Renzetti (creator of My Life as a Teenage Robot).
- Well written.
- Clever inventions and plot devices.
- Two segments were also done for the show, Dial M for Monkey and the Justice Friends.
- Dial M For Monkey and The Justice Friends overlapped with Dexter's Laboratory as Monkey as Dexter's pet monkey, and the leader of the Justice Friends, Major Glory, was Dexter's favorite superhero.
- Even though the show went downhill when it returned in 2001, the animation is still good.
- The third and fourth seasons were not well received, also called the revival series, had no involvement from Genndy Tartakovsky (except in one episode from season four) and had such had a lot of problems as it was the series decline from quality after Genndy left.
- Several bad episodes such as the Christmas episode, Dexter vs. Santa's Claws.
- Starting in Late 2017, It started to flood YouTube, Along with Arthur, Rugrats, The Powerpuff Girls (1998), SpongeBob SquarePants, The Simpsons, Family Guy and more.
- Dial M For Monkey was banned in numerous countries due to a copyright clash with Marvel Comics.
Dexter's Laboratory was critically acclaimed and won numerous awards.