Funimation Entertainment (Originally Funimation Productions) is a foreign licensing company known for their dubbing of various anime. It was founded in 1994 by Gen Fukunaga and his wife Cindy and was bought by Navarre Corporation in 2005, though Gen is still president and CEO.
Why It Rocks
- Very faithful to the source material, (only making minor changes that still get the point across).
- Their dubbing of Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt was made even more vulgar and raunchy than its Japanese counterpart due to Gainax requesting it so.
- Three words: Christopher R. Sabat.
- Very skilled and talented voice actors that add emotion and realism to the dubs.
- Redeemed One Piece after the horrible evil known as 4Kids mutilated it.
- Many of the anime they've dubbed were from Shonen Jump.
- Did a poor job of the original Dragon Ball anime (though in all fairness, they were just starting.)
- Some dubs are not the greatest.
- On most of their Blu-ray releases, they lock subtitles onto place when the audio setting is changed to Japanese. This is intended to prevent Japanese fans from importing their releases (Japan and North America have Region A-coded Blu-rays, and American sets are cheaper than Japanese sets), but is a huge and complete disservice to people who understand Japanese without the need of subtitles. Even Viz Media and Sentai Filmworks are guilty of the same practice.
- They used to have online videos on YouTube of various anime under them. Now they don't really have much anymore and some are private.