Futurama is an American animated science fiction comedy series created by Matt Groening for the Fox Broadcasting Company. The series follows the adventures of a late-20th century New York City pizza delivery boy, Philip J. Fry, who, after accidentally being cryogenically frozen for one thousand years, finds employment at Planet Express, an interplanetary delivery company in the retro-futuristic 31st century. The series was envisioned by Groening in the mid-1990's while working on The Simpsons; he later brought David X. Cohen aboard to develop storylines and characters to pitch the show to Fox.
Why It Rocks
- Awesome animation.
- Likable characters such as Fry, Turanga Leela, Bender Bending Rodriguez, Amy Wong and Professor Hubert Farnsworth.
- Clever humor based on science-fiction parodies and references. This ranges from subtle ones like using the same sound effects of the doors from Star Trek to Captain Zapp Brannigan who is a downright parody of Captain James T. Kirk from the same series.
- The voice acting is good, featuring talented voice actors like Billy West, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Phil LaMarr, Katey Sagal, Lauren Tom and Tress MacNeille.
- It has some heartwarming and tearjerking moments as well, most notably the episode where Fry finds the fossilized remains of his pet dog.
- Countless pop-culture references done well.
- The show's humor is a lot more relevant nowadays than that of The Simpsons.
- Spawned a ton of popular memes like "Why not Zoidberg?".
- Great writing.
- Had a really good crossover with The Simpsons.
- Some of the episodes from the Comedy Central seasons are pretty bad.
- Season 6 wasn't well-received by fans, mainly due to the heavy flanderization of several characters.