Vasquez pitched Invader Zim to Nickelodeon, who desired a series for their older demographic. As the series went on, ratings declined and budgetary issues became more frequent. Before the second season was completed, Nickelodeon cancelled the series, leaving several episodes and a planned TV movie series finale unfinished. The show first-ran on Nick from 2001 to 2002, with a handful of second season episodes going unaired, although these episodes were later seen on DVD in 2004 and Nicktoons Network in 2006.
Invader Zim was met with critical acclaim, winning an Annie Award, an Emmy Award and a World Animation Celebration Award, with nominations for six Annie Awards and a Golden Reel Award; due to its cancellation and subsequent popularity, it has acquired a cult following.
Why It Rocks
- Awesome voice acting.
- Good introduction of the show.
- Smoothly fluent and wacky-styled 2D animation.
- Some likable characters like GIR, Zim and Dib, his arch-nemesis.
- Great plot in every episode.
- This was outstandingly be the number 1 best Nickelodeon cartoon of all time and favorable to watch.
- Stylized cartoon graphics.
- Dib is the best hero antagonist of the series, while Zim is awesome to be the evil main character/protagonist villain.
- A lot of funny moments.
- Only 2 seasons after its cancellation
- Some moments featuring Gaz can get really dark and creepy, and, alongside the fact she is emo, caused controversy within Christian people and ordered Nickelodeon to tone down the satanic elements Gaz had.