Mickey Mouse is an Academy Award-winning series of theatrical animated short films created by the late-animator Walter Elias "Walt" Disney, the series ran from November 18th, 1928 to April 18, 1953. Upon it's debut, the series has been critically aclaimed, and, from it's debut to 1947, it was the most popular series of short films in cinemas.
The series stars the titular character, who is an big-eared rodent named Mickey that has adventures with the help of his two best friends, a sailor domestical duck named Donald and a dog named Goofy, Mickey is also the owner of a mutt named Pluto, and Mickey also has a girlfriend, which is named Minnie. The series had four spin-offs named Silly Symphonies, Donald Duck, Goofy and Pluto, Silly Symphonies ran from August 22, 1929 to April 7, 1939, Donald Duck ran from June 9, 1934 to June 21, 1961, Goofy ran from March 17, 1939 to December 20, 1961, and Pluto ran from July 30, 1932 to September 21, 1951.
Why It Rocks
- The titular character, Mickey Mouse, is very cheerful and even helped to end the Great Depression, which happened shortly after the release of Mickey's first cartoon and most famous one, Steamboat Willie.
- Pioneering cartoon industry to became a major parts of Media industries.
- The aforementioned short mentioned on the first point is often considered to be the best short film of all time and is recognized as the start of a whole new era of short films.
- Very fluid hand-drawn animations.
- Many catchy and memorable musics.
- Unlike many of the cartoon shorts from the era (such as the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry shorts), the Mickey Mouse shorts didn't use excessive use of violence and inappropiate humor, instead using light hearted yet funny humor, similarly to Nickelodeon's Harvey Beaks.
- Mickey's popularity makes him became one of the most iconic American cartoon character, or even the most iconic character of all time alongside Mario (main character of the Japanese videogame series of the same name) and both of them are considered a prime example of a pop culture icon.
- Spawned several TV shows such as The Mickey Mouse Club, Good Morning Mickey, Mickey's Mouse Tracks, Mickey Mouse Works, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Disney's House of Mouse.
- The series had a revival in 2013, which continues to the present day.
- The revival also features awesome shorts where Mickey goes into many foreign countries, such as Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Monaco, China, Mexico and even Russia.
- Shorts such as Clock Cleaners are the prove of sub-plots done right.
- Served as the inspiration for Cuphead and Bendy and the Ink Machine.
- Several shorts from WW2-era are extremely offensive towards Japanese people (including Japanese fans of the show), and one of Anti-Nazi shorts featuring Donald Duck, Der Fuhrer's Face (which won an Academy Award), was ironically widely used by Neo-Nazis movement.
- No Service was a bad kickoff to the series, it's expected to see some series have bad episodes, the black sheep of the Mickey Mouse 2013 series, No Service, is the first and the worst, which made people hate the series like Uncle Grandpa even though improvement was added (this case since the late season 1-early season 2 episodes, with good plot writing, including Potatoland and The Boiler Room.).