11-year-old Kenichi Mitsuba is an average kid who goes to secondary school and struggles with his studies, he is very stubborn and is very lazy and therefore always ends up frustrating his parents and teacher. He loves to find an easy way of things much to the annoyance of Hattori.
Meanwhile, a little ninja named Hattori Kanzo befriends Kenichi. Hattori is now a part of the Mitsuba family along with his brother Shinzo, and his ninja dog, Shishimaru. Hattori helps Kenichi with his problems, and constantly keeps an eye on him, as a good friend. Yumeko is portrayed as Kenichi's love interest.
The main antagonist Kemumaki, a Koga Ninja and his ninja cat Kagechiyo. Kemumaki always troubles Kenichi. Kenichi asks Hattori to take revenge as a recurring storyline in many episodes. Although Hattori is a good friend, Kenichi sometimes fights with Hattori due to misunderstandings created by Kemumaki. Sometimes Jippou, Togejirou and Tsubame help him.
There are five main locations in the series: Tokyo City, Shinto Temple, Iga Province, Iga Mountains, Kōga Valley.
Why It Rocks
- The theme song is catchy.
- The character designs are good.
- The characters are really interesting.
- The characters are introduced one-at-a-time, which helps the viewers get familiar with them and the world they live in.
- The animation is well-done.
- It had some crossovers with other great Fujiko Fujio shows, such as Doraemon and Perman.
- There are over 600 episodes, each with their own unique stories and jokes.
- It has inspired several internet memes, mostly due to the "D se Dab" commercial and the hilarious live-action commercials.