PTV is the fourteenth episode in the fourth season of the American animated television series Family Guy and is one of the highest-rated episodes of the entire series.
When the FCC starts censoring all of Peter's favorite shows after David Hyde Pierce accidentally exposes his testicles on live TV, he broadcasts a pirate TV station in the Griffin house featuring shows filled with inappropriate content.
Why It Rocks
- The Naked Gun-style opening sequence of the episode where Stewie travels through various movies and games before causing Homer Simpson to run face-first into a door is amazing.
- It has a very clever allegory on censorship and how ridiculous it can be.
- The jokes are absolutely hilarious.
- The FCC song is very true, funny and catchy.
- The PTV shows are really funny, like Cheeky Bastard, Midnight Q, and The Sideboob Hour.
- The "black stuff" joke sounded a bit racist
The episode is a response to the FCC's reaction to an incident where Janet Jackson's breast was accidentally shown for a brief second during the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show. Show creator Seth MacFarlane commented that the episode's plot was inspired by the rage of the Family Guy crew towards the strict rules that the FCC made after the controversy. The episode gained mostly positive responses from critics, and received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour) as well as an Annie Award nomination for directing.