Pokémon is a Japanese anime series that started in 1997 and still airs to this day. It is based off of two video games released in Japan known as Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green in 1996, and the Pokémon Trading Card Game. The show has been a critical/commercial success, and spawned many spin-off movies.
Ash Ketchum, a boy from Pallet Town, dreams of becoming the greatest Pokémon Master, and with the help of Misty, Brock and Pikachu, he can succeed further to his dreams.
Why it Rocks
- Follows the source material very faithfully, to the point where Ash can be considered an anime version of Red.
- Very solid and detailed animation, plus the designs of the Pokémon are highly imaginative and colorful.
- Lots of funny moments.
- Likable characters.
- The trainers sometimes use clever Pokemon battling strategies that also work in the game if fans want to try them.
- The anime has used Ash Ketchum as the protagonist for far too long now without ever letting him win a regional league (save for the non canon Orange League). Because of that the series has gotten very repetitive with every season playing out more or less the same.
- The "Electric Soldier Porygon" incident that caused over 650 Japanese people to have epileptic seizures.
- The Sun & Moon Series is Horrible.