Shining Time Station is a 1989 children’s television series that aired on PBS from 1989 until 1993. The show was created by Britt Allcroft and Rick Siggelkow.
A small man dressed in a train conductor’s suit named Mr. Conductor (Ringo Starr in Season 1 and later by George Carlin in Seasons 2 and 3) would tell stories about Thomas the Tank Engine to young kids.
Why It Rocks
- This show first introduced American audiences to Thomas the Tank Engine.
- After the original series ended in 1993, the show continued running on PBS in reruns from the mid 1990s to late the 1990s. There was even a spin off series called Mr. Conductor’s Thomas Tales, which focused solely on Mr. Conductor.
- Ringo Starr did a good job as the early version of Mr. Conductor and George Carlin did a good job as Mr. Conductor as well. George even stated in an interview that he did that show in order to show a different side of himself and do something he hadn’t done before.
- Aside from entertaining viewers, the show taught many lessons including trust, honesty, kindness among many others.
- Unforgettable characters, especially Mr. Conductor.