South Park is an adult animated series that aired on Comedy Central in 1997 and is currently ongoing. It is one of the longest running animated series to date, along with The Simpsons.
The series focuses on 4 foul-mouthed children, Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny. They get into weird and bizarre mishaps while learning a valuable lesson at the end.
Why It Rocks
- Kenny's death scenes in the earlier episodes. (OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!! YOU BASTARDS!)
- Numerous cultural references.
- Valuable lessons to be taught... to adults.
- Has numerously countered attacks on entertainment by moral guardians with episodes dealing with censorship and was one of the main focuses of the film.
- Eric Cartman and his crazy (and at times downright evil) schemes.
- Season 19 attacked SJW culture with a season long story arc. In fact, South Park is one of the few shows on TV that attacked SJW culture.
- Many episodes focus on current events.
- When people criticized the show for poor animation and fart jokes, the creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker responded by creating Terrance and Philip.
- This show is one of few times that their video games were praised positively (outside film-based games) because the original creators of the show were helping the game developers to create a game based on this show.
- Though the animation isn't the best, it has a certain charm.
- It challenged the stereotype that animation is only for children.
- There have been many times where the parodies in the show go too far and stop being being funny and instead become outright offensive.
- It almost outraged Muslims for depicting the prophet Muhammad negatively in two episodes. At the same time, it showed clips from terrorist videos (which could cause controversy for Arabic-speaking fans).
- Bad voice acting, with Trey Parker and Matt Stone voicing almost ALL male characters.
- It's offensive to many Canadians, especially the movie.
- Toilet humor
- The show has slowly losing it's charm and humor as the series keeps going on over the years, almost to the point that the games themselves may be better than the show.
- Eric Cartman is annoying and detestable. Bart Simpson from The Simpsons may not be a good role model, but at least he is sort of likable in his own right. Eric Cartman is an even worse role model than Bart Simpson, also a much worse role model than what a lot of people consider to be bad role models, The Disney Princesses are better role models than him, and that is saying a lot. And the Disney Princesses are not bad role models to begin with.
- The show takes an incredibly hypocritical approach in tolerating one extreme of the spectrum, but not the other. What is even worse is that they are unapologetically relentless with their vulgarity, which is already really hard to bear.
- The title location is very boring and uninteresting. Unlike Springfield from The Simpsons, where the season changes from various episodes, South Park is a mountain town where it is eternal winter.
- Although Matt Stone and Trey Parker make fun of a lot of celebrities on the show, Barbara Streisand is one of the few the two truly hate.