SpongeBob SquarePants is an American animated television created by marine biologist and animator Stephen Hillenburg for Nickeloden. The series chronicles the adventures and endeavors of the title character and his various friends in the fictional underwater city of Bikini Bottom. The series' popularity has made it a media franchise, as well as the highest rated series to ever air on Nickelodeon, and the most distributed property of MTV Network. As of 2015, the media franchise has generated $12 billion in merchandising revenue for Nickelodeon.
Many of the ideas for the series originated in an unpublished educational comic book titled The Intertidal Zone, which Hillenburg created in 1989. He began developing SpongeBob SquarePants into a television series in 1996 upon the cancellation of Rockos Modern Life.and turned Tom Kenny, who had worked with him on that series, to voice the title character. SpongeBob was originally going to be named SpongeBoy, and the series was to be called SpongeBoy Ahoy!, but these were both changed, as the name was already trademarked.
Nickelodeon held a preview for the series in the United States on May 1, 1999, following the television airing of the 1999 Kid's Choice Awards. The series officially premiered on July 17, 1999. It has received worldwide critical acclaim since its premiere and gained enormous popularity by its second season.
The character-driven toon chronicles the nautical and sometimes nonsensical adventures of SpongeBob, an incurably optimistic and earnest sea sponge, and his undersea friends. Dwelling a few fathoms beneath the tropical isle of Bikini Atoll in the sub-surface city of Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob lives in a two-story pineapple. Instead of taking the logical approach to everyday challenges, SpongeBob approaches life in a wayward and unconventional way. Whether searching for the ultimate spatula to perfect his burger flipping technique at the Krusty Krab, or just hanging out with his best friend Patrick (an amiable starfish), SpongeBob's good intentions and overzealous approach to life usually create chaos in his underwater world.
Why they Rock (Season 1-4, 9b-present only) (1999-2006, 2015-present)
- Great episodes.
- Created many memes.
- Characters are unique.
- Very good voice actors including Tom Kenny.
- Good songs, such as Sweet Victory from Band Geeks
- The animation is nice and clear (especially Season 1's animation).
- Characters had their personally like, SpongeBob being the happy go lucky protagonist, Patrick being the stupid one, Squidward being the grouchy one, Mr. Krabs being the greedy one, Plankton being the self tempered villain and Sandy being the smart one, which gives them charm.
- Beside SpongeBob himself who first appeared in Help Wanted in season 1 and other characters like Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs, many other characters made their debuts including Sandy and Plankton in later episodes.
- After The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, the qualities in later seasons dropped into a horrible show, but got better in 2015 when Stephen Hillenburg returned.
- There are some episodes that are bad when the first movie got released.
- Silly, cheesy voices, thus making the acting a mixed bag.
- Rather bland character design, especially from the fish.
- A very toxic hatebase.