The series is about a foul tempered gamer who often forces himself to play terrible old games game from older consoles such as the NES or Atari 2600. He becomes more and more enraged the longer he plays the game and sometimes destroys it out of anger.
Why He Rocks and is more Reliable Than Most "Game Journalists"
- His series is heavily responsible for popularizing internet reviews.
- He swears like a sailor and almost makes it an art form.
- While his series is heavily focused on humor, he does give legit reasons why a game sucks.
- Played by James Rolfe, the greatest internet celebrity ever.
- Numerous characters drop by such as Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and Bugs Bunny.
- While he was originally the Angry Nintendo Nerd, he changed it to Angry Video Game Nerd to focus on other consoles (and of course merchandise).
- Over 140 episodes.
- In addition to just playing video games, he's also reviewed consoles like the CD-i and accessories like R.O.B. and even some video game history like the SwordQuest contest.
- The special effects are so cheesy, they're just awesome and funny.
- Had a crossover feud with the Nostalgia Critic.
- Has even defended some games like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and only focused on why it was difficult rather than bad.
- Gave us two spin-offs, Board James and James and Mike Mondays.
- Some episodes follow a plot, like R.O.B. plotting to replace all video games with Stack-Up and Gyromite.
- He was not paid to give a good reviews on bad games, unlike certain mainstream reviewers.
The Angry Video Game Nerd has such a large following that most of the games in James Rolfe's home were donated to him by his fans. His full length film, Angry Video Game Nerd: the Movie was entirely fan funded.
The Angry Video Game Nerd has currently a 8.5 out of 10 in the IMDb.