Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends (simply referred to as Thomas & Friends or Thomas the Tank Engine) is a British children's television series. It had its first broadcast on the ITV network in Great Britain in 1984. It is based on The Railway Series of books by the Reverend Wilbert Awdry and his son, Christopher Awdry.
These books follow the adventures of a group of anthropomorphised locomotives and road vehicles who live on the fictional Island of Sodor. The books were based on stories Wilbert told to entertain his son, Christopher, during his recovery from measles. Many of the stories from the first four series are based on events from Awdry's personal experience.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of talking trains is cool.
- A large variety trains such as Thomas (Of course), James, Percy, the list goes on......
- The models in the model series look well done.
- Well-done narration. Not to mention, in the model series, the first narrator was none other than the former drummer of The Beatles, Ringo Starr! (HOW AMAZING AND AWESOME IS THAT?!?!?!) Let that sink in.
- Likable main protagonist.
- All of the theme songs are catchy.
- The animation used since Season 13 looks nice (Especially in Season 17-Present).
- It even spawned a theatrical movie and some direct-to-video movies!
- Seasons 13-16 weren't very well received.
- In the model series, the characters' mouths don't move (Except for Season 12, where the models have CGI faces masked onto them).