Tom and Jerry is a classic series of cartoon short films first made in 1940 by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera (Hanna-Barbera).
During its original run, Hanna-Barbera produced 114 shorts for MGM from 1940 to 1958. In the mid-1960s, Chuck Jones (of Looney Tunes fame) produced 34 more shorts for MGM.
Why It Rocks
- One of the original slapstick duos of the animated world.
- Memorable characters such as Tom, Jerry, Spike, Butch and Nibbles.
- Despite them almost never talking, it was very easy to understand both Tom and Jerry's personalities.
- Practically invented cartoon violence.
- Clever use of Squash & Stretch to make the pain more credible.
- Several spin-offs including Tom and Jerry Kids.
- Tom's famous screaming (which was done by William Hanna himself).
- Despite for being family-friendly, it can get very violent at times.
- Often had offensive jokes, especially towards black people.
- Gene Detch’s Tom and Jerry series which consists of badly-drawn animation, awful sound effects, and some bad voice-acting.
- Ever since the original creators left the show (and later died), many have attempted to revive it but none have had much success, this has resulted in many terrible movies and spin-off shows.
Tom and Jerry is one of the most beloved animated franchises in existence and is still widely popular today.
The series won 7 Academy Awards/Oscars.