Tom and Jerry is a classic series of cartoon short films first made in 1940 by Willaim Hanna and Joseph Barbera (Hanna-Barbera).
Why It Rocks
- One of the original slapstick duos of the animated world
- Very memorable characters, especially Tom and Jerry
- Practically invented cartoon violence
- During its original run, Hanna-Barbera produced 114 shorts for MGM from 1940 to 1958. The series was revitalized with 13 more shorts by MGM with help from Gene Deitch. These shorts were made from 1961 to 1962.
- Several spin-offs including Tom and Jerry Kids.
- Was a target for moral guardians.
- Its theatrical film adaptation plus the countless straight to DVD movies.
Tom and Jerry is one of the most beloved animated franchises in existence and is still widely popular today.