Tom and Jerry is a classic series of cartoon short films first made in 1940 by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera (Hanna-Barbera).
During its original run, Hanna-Barbera produced 114 shorts for MGM from 1940 to 1958. In the mid-1960s, Chuck Jones (of Looney Tunes fame) produced 34 more shorts for MGM.
Why It Rocks
- One of the original slapstick duos of the animated world.
- Memorable characters such as Tom, Jerry, Spike, Butch and Nibbles.
- Despite them almost never talking, it was very easy to understand both Tom and Jerry's personalities.
- Practically invented cartoon violence.
- Clever use of Squash & Stretch to make the pain more credible.
- Several spin-offs including Tom and Jerry Kids, The Tom and Jerry Show, Tom and Jerry Tales and '’The Tom and Jerry Show (2014).
- Tom's famous screaming (which was done by William Hanna himself).
- In several episodes, Tom and Jerry put their differences aside to achieve a certain goal.
Tom and Jerry is one of the most beloved animated franchises in existence and is still widely popular today.
The series won 7 Academy Awards/Oscars.